The Windermere War Memorial is situated on the east side of the A5074 approximately midway between Windermere and Bowness, on the corner of Lake Road and Craig Walk
The whole of the war memorial site is held by Town Council in trust under a deed dated 2 October 1922. The then trustees undertook to raise a fund for the purchase of a site and the erection and maintenance thereon of a visible memorial to the fallen. Once the site had been purchased and the memorial built, the trustees were then obliged to hand over the memorial and its site to the then Urban District Council to be maintained by the Council in perpetuity. On local government re-organisation in 1974, the war memorial site was vested in Windermere Parish Council
The Parish Council relocated the war memorial further back from its original position in 1988. Each year, the Town Council arrange for the memorial gardens to be planted with colourful flowers and blooms. The War Memorial recently hosted a visit from "Walking with the Wounded" on their long-distance walk from John O Groats to Lands End. Town Council provided the walkers with much appreciated tea and scones..